Saturday, September 07, 2024

A FEW MORE PHOTOS FROM KENYA

 I thought I would throw a few more photos of our Serving in Kenya and the safari we took after our work there.

This is Mama Joyce's home.  We ate several meals in there by kerosene lantern.

Mama Joyce was the Matriarch of this particular group of people.  Somehow I can't find her photo among the thousands I have...


A Ha I found the photo of Mama Joyce.  She was the first person in her tribe to accept the Lord and became the pastor over her people.  Her son Pastor Simon became the pastor because of her Godly influence.




Termite mounds every where.


Jessica and I with a sweet young boy walking in the Rift Valley.
We were like the Pied Pipers where ever we went.
I don't thin this boy had any shoes on either.



Oops, I didn't mean to post this one but I can't seem to remove it.  Its from the Little Lambs Orphanage.  Doing a singing game.  That's me on the left in the light blue shirt.


This is the Elder Solomon and part of his family.
Old Masai tradition can be seen here.  The stretching of the ear lobes.



This photo is a favorite of mine.  I showed him pictures of he and his family.  Spoke so little English but was so warm and kind.


I was so excited that we were able at the last minute to go on a safari.  It is very expensive but a wonderful local friend was able to get us a considerable discount.

So we were able to go on an overnight adventure.  We stayed in lovely tents with all the amenities of home.. What a stark contrast from what we had been living in... .


We rode in terrific vans with our group.  The Southern group was with us too.

We were right in the middle of the Cape Buffalo herd...noisy and a bit smelly.

They are huge and can be dangerous if provoked.



We saw many elephants.  I called this one  Mr. One Tusk



herds of zebra


Pumba...

We went to the Hippo watering hole.  What amazing huge creatures these are.


I zoomed in for this shot.  I wasn't that close ... close BUT Not that close.
Dave is on the right, taking a few photos too.



Lions hiding in the tall grass.  You can see a young lion off to the right.


How many can you find?







I could go on and on with the animals that we saw but I will leave you with these parting photos.

This "little" guy walked right up to our van.  He wanted to get a good look at us.



I just love his "Smile"


Great memories of serving in Kenya and Great memories of seeing  out in the wild some of God's Creation.

For all of its faults we do live in a wonderful world.



10 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The hut is so interesting, and looks well made. I wonder what is the reason they have for stretching their ears, there must be some theory about it.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

OH I LOVE these photos! Thank you for sharing them with us! Love seeing the animals as well as the beautiful people! I must've missed your other posts about Kenya. I need to go back and read. We wanted to go to Kenya as missionaries many years ago and work in the school there for missionary kids, but God told us to stay here in the states and work with churches and also kids in public and Christian schools over the years. So that was our mission field, but we really thought Kenya was where we were supposed to go at one time. God knows best, but seeing these pictures makes me think about how nice it would have been to at least take a trip there like you did! Thank you for sharing with us. What a blessing!

The Happy Whisk said...

Excellent collection of photographs.

Debby said...

I love the animal photos. Wow what beautiful creatures they are. I was wondering how it would smell and then you answered with “a bit smelly” Truly a once in a lifetime trip.!

Sparky said...

Very cool photos. It would be interesting to visit Africa. Photographing all the wildlife and nature would be a dream of a lifetime for me.
I used to think traditions like the stretching of the earlobes or writing on oneself was odd but then I look at many of the young these days, and, well, there's not much difference is there.
Wonderful post. 💙

MadSnapper said...

I am in love with that baby grinning giraffe. so precious but most favorite are all the lion, laughed out loud at the big belly up one taking a siesta, and I think there are 8 in that field of lines. hippos are so ugly they are beautiful. you know I loved all the wild life. and would love to go on safari. even the one here in Florida would be fun, I am an hour from one and 3 hours from another and never been because I am married to a man who's will visit nothing
I know the man was excited to see his family in photos. I have enjoyed your trips to Africa down memory lane

Mevely317 said...

How wonderful you and Dave were able to see those creatures up close and personal. Honestly, I'd be too chicken to try. Either that or I'd want to try and smuggle a lion cub home. How many in that picture? I'm guessing 7.

Chatty Crone said...

Wow you were not only helping people, but you had an amazing safari right in front of you. Why did the people stretch the ears? Are they Christian now?

Eggs In My Pocket said...

Yes! No matter where it is......we do live in a wonderful world! Your post is so inspiring and interesting. Your work , reaching out, helping, and visiting with the people of Africa is wonderful! Love your photos!

Marie Smith said...

The safari, the people, wonderful memories! Amazing!