Tuesday, September 03, 2024

AFRICA WILL ALWAYS BE IN OUR HEARTS

 First of all ... thank you so much for all of the wonderful comments on my previous blog post.

It truly was a day that filled up our Memory Bank.

Now on to another episode of volunteering for mission work.

This time it is to Kenya, Africa.  What a beautiful, exotic and full of wonderful people "world" it is.

Dave and I went there for another 2 week trip to do and help where ever was needed and to share the gospel.

We arrived in Nairobi which is the capital of Kenya and traveled to Kijabe which is in the Rift Valley.  Very high elevation of 8000 ft and the valley floor was at 6500 ft.

After a few days at the Rift Valley Academy (school for the students of missionary parents) we were off to the Valley floor and our exciting projects to come.  There were 6 of us as a team.

You can see the rich red earth of the volcanic dirt, which got into everything...


Preparing our Accommodations  for the duration.


One for the guys, one for the gals and one for our leader and extra "things"


See the ring of branches around our tents?  That was protection from critters and mostly for the curious kiddos that wanted to be with us 24/7.

Kim seemed to know how to smile and engage the kids with so much ease.

This area and settlement was called Namuncha.  Very poor Masai goat herders .


Brian and the Masai Pastors son Moses.

We came to work on the community center/church both physically and through our finances to buy supplies.
And Work we did...




Me breaking up the uneven foundation so cement floor could be poured.

Sifting the dirt to get the gravel, rocks and junk out so the cement/sand could be mixed


I loved working along side of this lovely Masai woman.  We got a lot done with a whole lot of smiling and shoveling.


My Hubby and Jessica doing a lot of hard labor too.


Mudding the walls for the main room.
See the men in suits?  They felt it was such an honor that we would come to help them that they wanted to show their appreciation and make it an official happening.


Beautiful Veronica and her baby Ruth


Pastor Simon and his wife Eunice


I just have to share some of the kids who were always around and fascinated with us.




Eunice cooking Chapati (bread) for the kids of the settlement.


Jaquline and her friend.  So sweet.



This is Mary and her baby.  She seems like a baby herself.
Mary actually had learned some English at school and we had a bit of conversation together.
She kept having this worried look on her face and I thought I had said something that culturally was wrong .
Finally she sighed and touched my hair.  She said with a shy smile "Soft".  Kenyan hair is coarse and wirey.  She just couldn't help herself and had to touch my red hair.  I was thrilled.  It was such a touching moment of trust and boldness.  I Never will forget it.

This says it all...
The trip was worth every penny .
No Colors in Heaven!


Church service in the unfinished building.






Never got those shoes clean after our time there.


 We also served with a college group from Georgia at the Little Lambs Orphanage.
Sang songs and played games together.  it was a rich time for all of us.  Dave and I are still in touch with 3 or 4 of those college kids to this day.  Now they are parents themselves.

Hokey Pokey works in any language.


Hand motion songs always go over well.





We also went out to visit a Compassion International Site called Karima Child Development Centre to distribute food and they in turn entertained us with dances and singing.



I wish you could have heard their voices and could actually see all the colorful clothes.


Even the teachers and some of the Compassion people danced and sang for us.


We went out into the Bush to check on some families and bring them necessities.


This entire family lived in a one room building.  Dave said they were refuges from the civil war between two factions in Kenya.  It is so hard to see such poverty and terror.


This is Winnie and 2 of her children. I think she had 5.  Her husband left her with nothing.  She has HIV Aids because of his life style.  There were 2 beds in the room and an Empty Pot for food.  Because of her HIV Aids she has been shunned.  We brought her blankets, a new mattress and staples.  I was asked to pray for her and the family.  I wrapped my arms around her  to pray.  She was shocked and didn't know how to receive my love.  God gave me a prayer which I don't remember as soon as it was out of my mouth. and I  began to feel her acceptance of me and the prayer.  You know  ..  When you are obedient , The Walls are Broken.  I have no idea how the rest of her story goes but I truly believe God did a work in her life.  Probably the first time in a very long time that she felt Human Touch.  
I am getting teary eyed just writing this.

I think this is where I'm going to leave this part of the Kenya story for a few days.

More to come in a different vane.

Pastor Simon's tee shirt..

His Goal



12 comments:

Debby said...

What an experience! We can’t fathom the poverty of other nations until we see it for ourselves. What a blessing you all were to them and I’m sure you were blessed even more. My heart went out to the young gal with the baby - touching your hair. How sweet. And the woman with HIV - you’re probably right - your hug was no doubt the first human touch in a long time. These memories are what life in Christ is all about. I’m so happy you have them to look back on. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Poor Winnie. did you ever find out what eventually happened to her and her children? They have the most beautiful colorful church clothes. Remember the saying "Many hands make light work"? This sure is an example. Our pastor and his family lived with the Masai for 10 years ministering to them.

MadSnapper said...

each of these photos can do a stand alone story, just looking at them. the photos of the children are my favorites, especially the thumbs up photos.. the shirt at the end says it all and when I read it I teared up... I agree with Ginny, many hands make light work and you and your missionary friends did indeed make it light work..

Sparky said...

Wow! You've done so much! Well done. How kind to hug the HIV woman. It's not contagious by touching but I guess she was considered 'unclean'. Poor dear. The photos are great. Love the smiling faces. Y'all are the best. 💙

Marie Smith said...

The faces of those women and children…I wonder what became of all of them? It is wonderful you are in touch with some to this day!

Mevely317 said...

How wonderful, these glimpses into your life! Those hands ... and that sweet baby at the foot of the tree! I can't even. These look like somethings that should be profiled in a high-end gallery. Thank you for changing my uneducated perceptions of this land.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness that was beautiful. How many trips have you been on?? So much poverty and terror in life - but one thing I noticed were all the bright colors. The little children and babies were so sweet. No colors in Heaven.

Rose said...

Oh, Sue...so glad you could hug the lady with Aids...the human touch is just so important.. I bet you guys were tired when you went to bed at night.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beautiful picture of the people.
What special memories.

Donna said...

God Bless you...And the woman with HIV...wonder how she and the children fared...probably, not well. SO sad!
hugs
Donna

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, was a precious wonderful story! And yes, I believe The Rift Valley Academy is the place where we were trying to go to so many years ago. My hubby was attending grad school at Columbia Graduate School of Bible and Missions in Columbia SC, and there were some missionaries from that area there taking some courses. We heard so much about it and wanted to go help too, but God said no and we stayed here in America serving the Lord in other places. I love the pictures of the people, their faces, their costumes, their love shining in their eyes. I love the story about the woman with HIV...Thank you for loving her in Jesus' Name. What a blessing. This whole post was so powerful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Michelle said...

There truly are no colors in heaven. What a wonderful post and what a visit! Thank you for linking up. I am enjoying these posts.