Monday, September 07, 2020

RETURN of the BODY SNATCHERS


How's that for a leading title??

We have been invaded by a super ugly bug.

I put out a plea for help on FaceBook and found out our Body Snatchers were

Box Elder Beetles...

A gazillion of them have exploded from our backyard tree.

At least I found out the name of the tree that is so beautiful in the fall

and gives us wonderful shade in the Summer

But

It also has given us critters that have even come into our bedroom!

There isn't a sure cure for getting rid of them, except for getting rid of the tree...




They are small but are also mating fools...

Some people call them Love bugs for this very reason.




Hopefully their love "urges" will soon be passed and they will disappear.

We have sprayed and I have become the "Wapping Gal" with my faithful

Fly Swatter...

Beetles...take that...Bye Bye...

Wap and Splat...

That's how I spent my Sunday in 108F temperatures...

To be continued...



13 comments:

JFM said...

We get them where I live,too.
They are a big fat pain.
I am no expert but even if you should cut down your tree if any others have this tree on their property you will still get them at your house.
I have also heard that when the farmers harvest their crops that these box elders will be booted out along with hundreds of lady bugs.
Scary thought that bugs are taking over the world 🐞🐞🐞

Martha said...

We get them here in Florida too, sometimes really bad where they are covering everything! Here they come around in May and September, and thankfully only stick around for a few weeks.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I have not seen these bugs here. I hope they do not kill your tree. We have been over run with stink bugs, but they are not here as bad this year. Take care, enjoy your day!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh no! I get uncomfortable shivers just from reading this,. I DO NOT like bugs.

MadSnapper said...

we don't have these guys but we have many other pain in the you know what bugs. i have swatters hanging in every room...

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my, the BEDROOM! Don't kow if I would be able to sleep! Do they bite or sting? They are ugly little critters. I sure hope they don't kill your tree! I await the next installment!

Anonymous said...

I sure wouldn't want them in my house, mice are bad enough!

Hootin Anni said...

I've seen hundreds of these invasive bugs ... they're not around long if that's any consolation. (our nemesis is cockroaches. And, it's true about "everything is bigger in Texas"...roaches are HUGE.)

Marie Smith said...

Insects can be such a nuisance but. Some are good too. We have a problem with sugar ants. We sprayed too.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Oh my. I hope they don't kill your tree.

Martha said...

Oh, yuck!
Soon the stink bugs will invade our homes. They stayed out of my bedroom much better last year. I think my new window screens helped. But I probably shouldn't speak too soon.

sandy said...

Geez, bugs and their "urges". That is one pretty bug though. Hope they leave you alone. and now I am going to go goggle Box Elder tree. My mission this year has been to learn the name of all the trees that come into my awareness. It's a big chore I tell ya!

Shammickite said...

108 F???? I don't think I could go outside to swat any kind of bug if it was that hot!
Good luck with getting rid of the insects in the tree. Perhaps it's just a really bad year for that particular type of bug.