Tuesday, August 20, 2024

FIRST VOLUNTEER MISSION TRIP TO NICARAGUA

 Here I am again giving you a glimpse into Dave's and my life of going on mission trips as volunteers.

The next trip we went on was to Estelli, Nicaragua.  For me it really was one of the more difficult trips I have been on.

We flew into Managua and then were transported way out in the country to a very poor area.  Our church Bethel Christian Church in San Francisco, CA supported Christ for the City  for quite a few years.

We ended up in the town of Estelli.  Their largest town income came from a Cuban Cigar factory.  Everyone worked there on an assembly line.  The workers fingers were deeply stained brown from the tobacco leaves.  Everything had a strong oder too. We couldn't take any photos in the factory.  I'm glad I got to see it but the pay for the workers was terrible... barely subsistent for the men and women.

Each of us on our team lived in private homes.  The organization that we were under was suppose to pay the families for our room and board.  Our family didn't seem to understand that.  Fortunately we had a little extra cash so Dave and I could pay for everything. I hate to say it but I believe the man of the household really knew how to work the system.  We had to show the family Christian love for the 10 days we were there.  We slept in a bed that was their old clothes covered by sheets.  We made it work.  I wish I had recorded most of this but didn't.

We never needed an alarm clock.  The roosters on our tin roof at 3am were enough to wake and keep us awake..sigh

Dave and I have had 2 years of High School Spanish... our hosts spoke NO English!  They had an older son who would come home from work and would help translate for us.  This was before cel phones and Google translate..😐

We wore out our Spanish dictionary and guide.  Their home seemed to have a revolving door...as kids and people were in and out all the time.  We made friends with a few of the younger kids which made it fun when we were in their home.

We were in the town to do children's programs like VBS, and one Sunday we were to give the entire service at the church.  Dave did a fantastic job of doing a mini sermon.

Glad we went but hopefully some people got something out of our time there.

Overview of the Managua area.


Downtown

Doing kids programs




This is the house we lived in ... the middle house on the right.
At the bottom end of this street is a bar that went on all night long.
Men parked their horses outside it while they partied inside..
Unfortunately I cannot find a whole series of photographs about this place.
Sigh



View of life



Life is really difficult for most of the world.



This young gal would come by each person's house to sell her wares.



This was Grandma to the family we lived with.
Doesn't she have beautiful character lines?


One of the granddaughters that came to visit one day.


This is Jefferson who apparently was taken care of while the parents
were at work.  He was a real sweetie.


Doing an uncomfortable mission trip (physically, mentally and emotionally) really helped set my priorities straight.

Culture sometimes mixes what we think Christianity is all about.  Sometimes it is like "cherry-picking" the Bible.

So many lessons learned, and 2 years later we were back in Nicaragua but in a different setting.

To Be Continued

Always be Grateful

Always be Kind


11 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Goodness, it really does sound frustrating!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

"Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard You calling in the night. I will go, Lord, if You lead me. I will hold Your people in my heart." (A song we sing at church sometimes and it always makes me cry.) Thank you for answering the call. We know that God honors His Word, and seeds were planted there that you may be surprised to learn about the harvest when you get to heaven. Thank you for sacrificing your comforts for a while so that others may gain eternal life.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Oh my, I don't know how you were able to get any sleep.
I feel inspired by people like you and Dave who, as Pamela commented above, sacrifice your comforts so others may gain eternal life.
Beautiful portraits of the grandmother and the two children, and yes, she does have great character lines in her face.

Mevely317 said...

How you (and Dave) humble me! At times like this I identify with the title of h.s. required reading: "The Ugly American." I'm curious if you or anyone on your team kept in touch with any of these villagers.

Chatty Crone said...

I think from who I think you are today - that you absorbed and retained a lot of what you learned in those trips. Like I have said before we so are blessed to be living here. I can't stand when people bad mouth the USA. I think they should go live there!

Marie Smith said...

Love to see the beautiful faces of the people! Such good work, you two!

MadSnapper said...

No matter how bad things get here it is always better than the majority of the world, this is proof. its good to write it down while you can remember it. it is sad even now, though it is in the past

Donna said...

Dishonest people everywhere...so sad...
hugs
Donna

Mevely317 said...

Trying again; let's see ...
You (and Dave) humble me so! Could I have been so strong? I wonder if I might be labeled the same as a h.s. required read: The Ugly American.
Curious: Did you or any members of your team keep in touch with any of those villagers?

Debby@Just Breathe said...

How wonderful that you did this beautiful work in Nicaragua. God Bless You.

Rose said...

Sue, I really am enjoying these posts.