Friday, March 08, 2024

DIVING BACK INTO HISTORY

   Dave and I have been cleaning out some closets and drawers...long overdue.

We found an old Art Pad of mine.  I knew it was somewhere in the depths of our "treasures".

I remember when "Hootin' Annie" would post some of her sketches and paintings.

It got me thinking about several things I did as a young girl.

My Aunt was an artist and when she came to visit in 1955, she brought me some artist pastels chalk and paper.

She decided to give me at 11 years old a lesson.  She made a still life and proceeded to put what she saw to paper.

I wasn't used to looking and putting it down on paper, but I am a pretty good copier.

The first photo is what my Aunt Phoebe drew.  Pretty much a quick sketch.





Here's mine...
Not too bad for a 11 year old girl.
Round things are more difficult to do and my bowl is level.  Line of sight is important so things don't go sliding off the page.. (:0)
I have to say I'm glad I kept it.



Almost makes me want to get out the pastels again..Almost...



11 comments:

Sparky said...

Hey, that's a good copy! I have a hard time transferring what's in front of me into a painting or drawing. My husband can do that. It must be nice to have such a gift. Many years ago, I was also on "Hootin' Annie" mailing list. I miss those days of crafting.
Blessings. 😊

Ginny Hartzler said...

You should get them out! I like yours better than your aunts! I have been a loyal follower of Hootin' Annie for many years. Do you know what happened to her??

MadSnapper said...

I agree with Ginny yours is more appealing to me than your aunts and it looks like you’ve got some talent go for it and start doing some paintings and drawings and coloring it’s never too late or so they say

Chatty Crone said...

I love your work - you have some talent there girl.

Wanda said...

Oh Sue, I love yours!! I never worked with pastels. Lovely the soft colors. I've been inspsired lately, not to paint, but to have some of my watercolor cards printed. I know people don't do "cards" with all the texing and emojies..but I still like paper and pen. So you just might be getting one soon!!

diane b said...

A great effort for a kid, well done. Now are you getting rid of anything or just exploring?

Mevely317 said...

That's really good! Because I (almost) got an 'F' in 5th grade Art, I pretty much quit trying. What a blessing, your auntie!

Marie Smith said...

Great job, Sue. Great memory too.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That is excellent for an 11 year old. You definitely are talented.

sandy said...

Well you did a good job back then on that painting. I think you would do great starting again. A good way to start which my sis and I did way back when once we wanted to do art was start with ABC ..take a day and do something that starts with an A ..and then onward.

Donna said...

Goodness, how Pretty!! Well Done!!
My mom made my sister and I take oil painting classes when we were young...I did learn to paint but could have cared less about going to class! lol Stupid child...
Have a wonderful week!
hugs
Donna