Thursday, February 15, 2024

OUR JUNGLE

 Dave and I have been working in our backyard jungle the past few days.

Everything has gotten so out of hand.  All our hard work from last season is now glorious weeds.  It's just not fair!!!

I worked really hard pulling those monsters but it does not look like I have done anything.  Guess I will have to go out and take an after photo.  We have tried to work between rain spurts.. to be continued...

Here are the before shots.

Time out while working around our pruned grape stubs.



My aim is to clear the really big stuff before it goes to seed.



As you can see the weeds just love to creep and take over everything.


My sweet husband cut our lawn before it gets too long.
The lawn area is 3800 square feet.
Its a huge job...
You can see on the left that our almond tree is just about in full bloom.
Next will be the plum doing it's thing.


I have to say that my leg and backside muscles are really sore.  All that bending over is painful for me.

But

Thankful I have been doing some exercise so I can keep doing it.

If I get out there today I will take a progress photo.

I believe the next "storm" comes in Sat. or Sunday...

Enjoy your day.


11 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Boy that is a heck of a lot of weeds! Good luck.
I have looked everywhere for your email to write you back.
Would you send me your email again - so I can write you back?

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, i know the weeds will come back unless you get all the roots out. There are weed pullers that get the roots and you don't have to bend over very much. Maybe that would help, or maybe you have already tried it.

Marie Smith said...

Hard work but so worth it! B

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That's a lot of work. Mark is outside right now working on weeds. The rain in California makes them come up pretty fast. Hope you had a nice Valentine's Day.

Debby said...

Hey there neighbor to the south. I have an old friend who lives in Rocklin (Whitney Ranch) and one in Lincoln. We all used to live in San Mateo.
Last year, we decided after looking at all the weeds to put pavers and rocks in, so the area that used to stress me out with weeds is now clear. We now have a small grass area which suits us fine. MY backyard is similar to yours in that we have a hill with a retainer wall. That's where my husband likes to just let nature take its course. We have various wildflowers like poppies that look nice but they all dry out in the summer.
Our almond tree is budding now, too.
Looks like you have a big yard. Yes, the next storm comesin over the weekend.

LC said...

Way to go girl! LC

Mevely317 said...

Yay, you! We've a burgeoning jungle of our own, but Tom's unable -- and I'm unwilling. Thankful for a great father-son team who keep things relatively tidy.

Donna said...

I Know! You work so hard one season and the next is like you've never been out there!
I finally pruned my rose bushes...I saw some new growth so I might be in trouble.
Hugs
Donna

MadSnapper said...

we have those weeds too, we don't pull them, bob just went out there yesterday and cut the front and today did the back yard. looks great, chopped down the weeds and mulced the leaves. that is one tough job, good luck and you are right, it is good excercise, do a little each day

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Reading this post, Sue, reminded me of the continuing yard work we did at our former VA home, especially during the hot and humid summers when weeds would take over no matter how often they were pulled out. We used to joke that our lawn area was green because of the weeds we mowed even though we did seed it. Weed pulling is certainly a thankless job and hope you are taking rest breaks as well. Our yard was about 3/4 of an acre in the back with a small front yard.

Michelle said...

Yard work is a lot! It is good that you are both able to do some things, but I hope you don't over do it!