Friday, December 15, 2023

A FULFILLING EVENING OF VOLUNTEERING

 Last evening Dave and I had a wonderful time of volunteering.

This was our second year of helping with a Christmas party for the Sayonara Kids Club.

The middle schoolers are between 7-10 years of age and come from some very difficult backgrounds.  Most of the kids that go to the club have one or both parents incarcerated, in rehab or in real financial straights.

This is about the only place where these precious kids get attention, love and help and guidance in their every day lives.

Some just don't know how to react to the kind attention those persons that are active at the club are able to give.

There was the Christmas Story, dinner, Christmas caroling in the neighborhood, games and decorating cookies to take home.  Of course there was Santa and our son Steve took personal photos of each kid.  They will get their pictures on another day back at the club meeting area.

Dave helped with Santa and I helped with the cookie decorating.  Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of Santa.

Here are several photos that I tried to take without being too obvious.

Setting up for dinner..hot dogs and home made mac and cheese.

Several photos of 2 of the groups that were decorating cookies and the last is the sweet girl that wanted me to take her picture.  She was proud of her creations.





It truly was a satisfying and fulfilling time for Dave and I.

Those boys and girls need lots of love and prayer.



9 comments:

Wanda said...

This is what Christmas is all about. How wonderful that you and Dave could participate in this. We have so much, and so many have so little.
I'm glad we are doing a very simple Christmas this year. Not a lot of give giving but lots of time to share together, play games, eat and reflect on what Christmas really means.

The great grandchildren still get a little gift from GG and Grandpa.

Blessing and love
Wanda

Spare Parts and Pics said...

That's awesome! There are so many families struggling and broken these days. I'm sure kindness to these kids goes a long ways!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Fantastic! It is both humbling and exhilerating to volunteer for these kids. I wish you a Merry Christmas~

Michelle said...

What a wonderful, and needed, thing you are doing volunteering your time with the kids. So many children are in situations not of their own making.

Marie Smith said...

What a great way to volunteer. I would enjoy that kind of day!

MadSnapper said...

This is the perfect way to enjoy and give love at Christmas, something Jesus would do. I know this meant so much to all of these children, and I agree with Marie, a great way to volunteer. I always helped and enjoyed our Christmas for the homeless familys at the church. not just family but all adults to..

Chatty Crone said...

Well I tell you what - that is the true meaning of Christmas right there. How wonderful.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I have not heard of this group before, but it sounds like a wonderful ministry and a fun way to volunteer. The smile on that little girl's face must have warmed your hearts.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am so happy to hear about you helping with this wonderful Christmas Party. How wonderful for those children to have all of you to care about them. May God Bless them and I will keep them in my prayers. Thank you for your service.