Tuesday, December 19, 2023

44 YEARS AGO

 Its hard to believe that 44 years ago Dave's Dad passed away.

He was a wonderful man, intelligent, kind and generous.

He loved his country and served 30 years in the Army.  When he retired he was a Major.  

Many of his skills led him to be instrumental in the development of the Golden Gate National Park system.  One of his treasured accomplishments was having Fort Point in the San Francisco Presidio included in the park system.

My Father in Law was one of the few allowed to go up in the tower of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Miss you Dad, but I'm so glad I knew you.  You expanded my world and of course I love that son of yours.


Maybe this can be called Throw-back Tuesday.


6 comments:

Wanda said...

That's a lovely picture of Dave's Dad. A handsome man. Christmas times brings memories of my dad too. He passed December 12, 1968 so young 57. Cancer, how we hate that killer.

The countdown is on, and it proves to be a very simple Christmas. I'm glad. In fact I'm looking forward to the New Year. A new jounal, and calendar and a new Women's Bible Study.

I want to make 2024 a real year of putting first things first! The Lord, my dearest, my family and dear friends. I want to take more time to talk to my sister, and extendedfamily members that live further away.

I'm so thankful for blogging and fb for it keeps me connected.

I'm so struggling to come up with meaningful posts. Life sometimes feels like "Ground Hog Day" Sameo sameo, and I don't want to get caught up in that. I'm rambling, but I imagine I'm sitting on your couch with a cup of coffee sharing my heart.

MadSnapper said...

time just jumps ahead, like the man in Quantam Leap.. Bob lost his dad when he was only 16, he died 1951. Mother has been gone 35 years,seems like yesterday. just looked up and saw Wandas comment. we all need to be more aware of the fleeing time and spending it with loved ones. i have not done a meanful post in years. mine is all about FUN and I will stick to that

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beautiful tribute to your father-in-law,

LC said...

What a treasured memory! My father also retired from the army. as a major. He didn't talk much about his experiences in the Phillipines, but my mother told me about when their letters that crossed one time. Hers told him she had dreamed he was carrying a wounded comrade through the dense jungle. His letter arrived with a description of carrying a fellow soldier through dense jungle to get him to the medics. LC

Marie Smith said...

Your FIL sounds like a wonderful man. May he rest in peace.

Donna said...

A very handsome man! And very accomplished...
Wishing you a Very Blessed and Merry Christmas!!
hugs
Donna