Wednesday, April 05, 2023

WEDNESDAY WISDOM - CLEAN YOUR PANTRY

 Lately Dave and I would get a whiff of something as we walked by our kitchen garbage can.

We would always take the trash out  but it didn't help.

Yesterday I was putting some canned goods away in our pantry.

Hmmm...I could smell a faint odor of oranges.

I'm short and have to tip-toe to see the back of my cabinet.

As I rearranged the cans I found this can on the bottom in the back.






My Doctor had told me to not eat canned fruit because of the sugar content.

I guess this little can had ended up being pushed to the bottom back

and totally forgotten.

The funny thing is there has been no liquid or spatter anywhere.

Just this exploded can with residue of mandarin oranges in the bottom of the can.

So I guess you know what my project was for yesterday...

Remember the commercial where the "Aunts" are at their nephews house and the one aunt is in the fridge, reading  EXPIRED... EXPIRED... EXPIRED?

Yup that was me!  How did I let things get to that point?

My shortness just lets me see the front and everything else disappears.

Sigh...any-hoo...now I have a clean pantry and nothing is EXPIRED... 👀😜!!!!


11 comments:

Sandi said...

When my husband's grandma passed away we cleaned out her house and found jars of homemade jam made in 1983. It was 2014. 😂

Maybe your oranges got eaten by a mouse? Or they just evaporated. Glad it was the faint smell of oranges and not some beef ravioli or tuna fish.

Hootin Anni said...

I bet that was a bit nauseating? It would be for me.

MadSnapper said...

i did not have exploded cans but I did have tons of expired. the past few years we had several near miss hurricanes and the hurricane cabinet expired, almost all of it. even the crackers were stale. after i had to toss a lot, I started when i get new cans or boxe, i remove the old and put the new towards the back and now I have been doing better using them

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh wow! I have had to go through my pantry from time to time and toss all the outdated stuff. Things get pushed to the back and then forgotten.

Chatty Crone said...

Can you say botulism? That happened to me once or twice.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, at least the smell will be gone! I think this happens to everyone, things being pushed to the back and forgotten about. But maybe not the exploding!

Michelle said...

I have been cleaning/rearranging the fridge and a pantry shelf today! Great minds think a like. Always a needed chore.

Marie Smith said...

Great job. I have to do mine too. Ugh!

diane b said...

When our daughter visits, usually twice a year, she always checks our pantry for expiry dates after she found one many years out of date once before. It's a family joke now.

Donna said...

Well, it happens to all of us! I'm in need of getting in the pantry and doing the same thing...a good clean-out! Thanks for the reminder!
hugs
Donna

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my! I guess I should clean out my pantry to see what I can find.