Monday, April 03, 2023

VIETNAM MEMORIAL Replica

 Saturday Dave and I had a wonderful but sobering experience.

The Traveling Vietnam Memorial replica was in our local area.

I am so glad we had a chance to see it.

Dave and I had seen the original way back in 1988 in Washington D.C.

The Wall (original) was built in 1982

It was completely built with private funding.  No government funding was given towards the construction of the Memorial

The Memorial and artifacts show the pain and confusion of the war.

This is not a political post but just showing what transpired at that time in the history of the USA.

Some of the facts:

There are 58,281 names on the Wall

The average age of service members on the Wall ... 22 yrs. 9 mos.

There are 1500+ service members still missing in action

400,000+ items left in honor at The Wall

1968 Deadliest year of the war

The Wall and the Vietnam Veterans mission is to honor and preserve the legacy of service to America and educate all generations about the impact of the Vietnam War and era.

Here are a few of the photos I took of the displays and the replica Wall, itself.












I know this is a private moment.
I don't know this person, but I think it depicts the raw emotion of seeing
friends and family members names on the Wall.
Stark Reality


Thank you for looking.

My FaceBook page shows a video of the complete Wall.

I somehow am unable to transfer it over to my blog site.



10 comments:

Sandi said...

And none of it had to be.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I didn't know most of these facts. So, how is the travelling wall different from the real one, other than being smaller. What are the differences?

Marie Smith said...

How wonderful to have a traveling replica which enables more people to see the memorial. So many made the supreme sacrifice!

Ruth Hiebert said...

That would be a sobering experience .

Hootin Anni said...

I've seen the real one (my high school sweetheart is on the wall)...and the traveling wall. It brings out emotions never experienced before and never experienced again!!

MadSnapper said...

agree with Ruth, truly a sobering experience.

Donna said...

My husband was one of those that made it back home...So many, didn't.
God Bless them all.
hugs
Donna

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I recall seeing the wall in Washington, DC, on a previous visit there. It was indeed a moving experience even though, thankfully, I had no relatives who served in that conflict.

Chatty Crone said...

I have never seen it, but thanks for showing it and remembering it. My husband served in that war.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Thank you for sharing this with me. It is so hard to comprehend. So many lives lost and so many grieving families. My heart hurts for all of them.