Monday, March 13, 2023

YOUNG HAWK IN OUR FRONT YARD TREE

 I'm was sitting at my "office" table a few minutes ago.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw some frantic activity.

A young hawk had landed on a branch which sent a lot of little "flitter" 

birds scrambling.

I grabbed my phone and tried to get a photo.  This is as much as I could capture before he flew over our house and on to who knows where.

He had rusty chest feathers .  Wish I could have gotten a snap of his feathers as the wind ruffled them.

He was too fast and I was too slow.

I have never in the 16 years we have lived here had a hawk land so close.

We can see them circle but never land.



At least I got Blog Fodder for today...😀


8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Great photo. They are hard to capture!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a special moment!!! Another of God's little surprises.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wow! Maybe he'll be back.
It is frustrating when you're about to take that perfect picture and the bird flies off before you get a chance. That's happened to me too may times.

MadSnapper said...

the two we have land in our trees on power poles and twice has flown almost on top of us. its amazing to see them. always good for blog fodder for sure

Hootin Anni said...

Extraordinary happenstance!! Lucky you to see it, even for a fleeting moment!!

Donna said...

Beautiful birds and superior hunters...One tried to carry off my Yorkie long ago...thankfully, I was in the yard, saw his intentions and when he swooped downward, I tried to grab his feet and he hit our wood fencing... landed then took flight. Saved our baby! He never went out alone again.
hugs
Donna

Chatty Crone said...

You did a GREAT job capturing the photo - so interesting.

Wanda said...

Actually that is a great shot! I remember once when we lived in Hughson, a big hawk landed on the fence in our back yard and looked at Molly and licked his beak! We got Molly in the house quickly!! Yikes, that was scary!