Saturday, March 04, 2023

DIGGING THROUGH SOME OLD PHOTOGRAPHS

 When I was going through some old photographs I came across two 

I hadn't seen in a very long time.

I was the junior bridesmaid at a family friends wedding.

Nat had had polio since childhood and wore heavy braces on both legs plus using her crutches for mobility.

Her disability never stopped her from living a full and meaningful life.

She married the love of her life and had one son.

As I was writing about Nat's braces, my mind instantly heard the creak of those braces

as she went about her daily life ... that memory gave me chills.

I was 6 years old at her wedding.  It was the only time I have ever been in any wedding besides my own.

The dress was pale yellow.  My Mom made it, and considering how little she liked to sew, it's a Masterpiece.

I did feel like a princess in it...mainly because it was long.

As I said in a blog from some time ago, I really "hated" the hat thing and couldn't wait to take it off.



Funny .. odd. .. how many feelings and thoughts rise to the surface when looking at old photographs.



Thanks for going back into the Dark Ages with me.



I am adding this photo even though the color is wonky.

You can get an idea of the color of my dress.

It was pretty sunny and I am sort of squinty.






10 comments:

MadSnapper said...

I love the dark ages photos because I am from the dark ages myself. I wish I could show you the photo of me at age 8. I was in my mothers sisters wedding as flower girl, and I am standing in the reception line, leaning out to stare at her husband who was in a sailor outfit and so handsome,and the story is I was asking him would he marry me when I grew up.... talk about dark ages and being dumb... the photo is 10 hours from here in a trunk. I hope its there.

MadSnapper said...

oops totally forgot to comment on your dress. I LOVE IT, the hat I understand. the dress is a masterpiece. you should see the dresses mother made for me, oh wow was she a bad seamstress. or maybe not, I just hated my homemade dresses. I like both photos a lot, thanks for sharing

Debby@Just Breathe said...

The photos are lovely. It is fun to look back and actually hold a photo in your hand. Kids today are not doing that. There photos are all in the cloud.

Donna said...

Oh! You were adorable! I seriously love your hat, as well!
It's fun to look back sometimes...
hugs
Donna

Hootin Anni said...

I am going to have to go thru some of my old timey photos some day. It's so much fun looking back filled with memories of happy days. I bet that yellow dress looked awesome with your complexion & hair color!

Linda said...

It's like being transported back in time, isn't it?
One of my favorite quotes is -
"We take photos as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone."
Isn't that the truth???

Chatty Crone said...

I love being brought back in time. We all like to riminess.

Hootin Anni said...

Awesome!! Yep, just the shade I has pictured.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Your mom did a great job on the dress. You do look like a little princess.

diane b said...

Fabulous old photos. Your mum did a great job on the dress. Interesting story about the bride.