Monday, November 15, 2021

THIS WEEK"S PHOTO CHALLENGE

 This week's photo challenge for my photo club is... A Portrait of a Friend...

My photo portrait isn't technically great, but it's more about the STORY than photography.

The portrait is of my friend Lynne.

I have known her for more than 60 years, since college actually.

She just turned 81, so that's a whole lot of history between us.

Lynne is actually quite healthy for her age but is now going into the middle stage of Alzheimers.

What a devastating disease it is.  Every week when I go over to her home to give her daughter a break,

there seems to be a bit less of the friend I know there.  It pains my heart.

Lynne is legally blind.  No sight in her left eye and 20% in her right.

She really can't see me and the details well, hence the sort of blank look on her face.

I tried to capture a candid shot of her while I was talking to her.

The portrait is in black and white because that's the way her life is now..the details of her life are

mostly gone.  Its just mostly the facts that I try to remind her about.

At this point she remembers who I am but not so much what we have done together.

A PORTRAIT of MY FRIEND LYNNE



Thankful for the time we have together.


9 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh my. I am so very sorry. I have personal and painful experiece with it. Alzheimer's is terrible, for one reason because our memories are what makes us who we are. She is so blessed to have you there for her. And for both of you to have each other.

MadSnapper said...

I like that you did it in black and white, it does tell a story and helps us to see her story. I know deep inside her she feels your love and knows you are caring for her. I also know her daughter needs you as much as Lynne does. I to have personal experice with this disease that robs us of ourselves. God bless Lynne and also you as you stay with her

Debby@Just Breathe said...

((Hugs)) I am keeping you and Lynne in my prayers.

Hootin Anni said...

You are an angel on earth Sue!!

A friendship photo is worth a 1000 words as you show in her portrait!!

jel said...

the picture is great
Alzheimer's is hard for all involve , we went thought with my mom.
take care huggs

sandy said...

i know from a relative's experience dealing with spouse how difficult and emotional it can be for their loved ones. Sweet that you help take care of her.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That is not only a beautiful photo of your friend, but also a lovely tribute to her.

Marie Smith said...

Beautiful Lynne. You are a friend to the end!

Michelle said...

This is a lovely portrait of your friend. Wonderful that you continue to be a force in her life.