Wednesday, November 17, 2021

THE SAGA OF THE POWER OUTAGE

 Yesterday was quite an adventure.

Our son Steve was coming over for dinner and I hadn't been to the grocery store yet.

I went to our Neighborhood WalMart to do a pretty big shopping.

Got it all in the cart and up to the checkout.

The lights began to flicker, went out a few times.

I proceeded to load ALL of my items onto the belt and boom the lights completely went out.

That meant no register, no scanning , no moving the groceries.

Long story short...

The mgr. said everyone leave your stuff right where it is and exit the store.

So I walked out of the store with no groceries and went home.

Power was out in our entire area..apparently a transformer blew.

Dave managed to get our garage door up and propped it.

So 

You know how much a creature of habit you can be when you try to do the simplest of things.

Couldn't get on the computer because the router is electric.  I tried to turn on the lights to see something ...dumb.. 

No electricity..

So

Dave and I went outside and proceeded to sweep up all the fallen leaves in the front.






Our sweet next door neighbor couldn't get in her house.  Her son had her key and of course 

the electric garage door opener wouldn't do its thing.

She decided to see if she could get some groceries in a different area.

A few hours later she came home and brought over a whole roasted chicken from CostCo.

Hye said she bought one for her self and wanted to make sure we had cooked meat for dinner too.



Finally after almost 4 hours the power came on.

I hurried and put some baking potatoes in the oven and went about my business of getting dinner ready.

We had a great meal with artichokes and Caesar salad.

I was telling Steve (our son) all about the saga and how I was glad I had potatoes to go with 

everything..

LIGHT BULB MOMENT

the potatoes...

They were still in the oven and had been baking for almost 3 hours...



Of course they were hard as a rock!

I still don't know why we didn't smell them.

Got a good laugh out of that.

I guess we will chalk it up to a Senior Moment...



9 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a frustrating day! When the power is out, I always go around trying to tun the lights on.

Marie Smith said...

Power outages are quite the adventure. We sure miss electricity when it’s gone!

MadSnapper said...

the punchline punched me hard and I am ashamed I laughed like a banshee. this made me feel better, sorry you could not eat the rocks. what a day you had but also you are blessed with a great neighbor. electric is our lifeline

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Oh my, what a day you had!!! I'm glad the power finally came on and how nice of your neighbor to bring you a Costco chicken. They are the best!

jel said...

glad to hear you got power back on.
and good thing it wasn't 10 below.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Your potato story makes me feel so much more normal when I forget something obvious . I like those colorful piles of leaves.

Hootin Anni said...

I can picture the light bulb coming on!! (Intentional pun for remembering the potatoes).

Losing power is no fun. Did you ever try baking a potato in a microwave? I do it all the time. Just pierce the potato...about 8 minutes per potato (depending on wattage of course).

Michelle said...

I would have been aggravated leaving my groceries at the store! I dislike grocery shopping anyway! That was sweet of your neighbor to bring over the chicken. Thanks for linking up.

sandy said...

wow first off what a nice neighbor to bring you the chicken. Had a laugh about the potatos. And that one view of the leaves with the brick and cement ..is that part of your walkway to the house...whether or not it is it's beautiful. I'm so use to power outages here in the mountains. We are on a three year upgrade to all electric poles, etc. Luckily it seems our area was about finished towards the beginning of the year...actually i think our last outage was March. It happened often, for about 8 hours a day when they were working on the roads around us. Not every day, randomly.