Saturday, July 25, 2020

UZBEKISTAN Continued


When I went to Uzbekistan with 2 other ladies,

Many of you were not on my blog at that time.

This was way back in 2006.

So that's why I thought I would repeat that trip again.

The country is very exotic and was under Russian rule for many, many years.

One can see the effects everywhere one looks.

We went there to put on a VBS (vacation bible school) for some "In Country" Christian missionaries.

The adults were having a conference and the kids had no activities while the parents were busy.

Because the country is mainly Muslim we were very careful to not proselytize anyone.

Our lessons were all from the Old Testament and we did all about Moses.

The kids had so much fun acting out all the stories.

We felt very safe but going across a border was a bit nerve wracking.

Our driver whom we lived with and his family knew the ropes so all was well.

Now the country is closed (not because of COVID ) but because of its beliefs and women alone is not a good thing.


I really have no idea where we were or if we were actually in Uzbekistan when we did VBS.

Sometimes ignorance is safer.  One can't give wrong answers that way.






Some of the kids acting out the story of Moses in the bullrushes.

We brought all the props in our suitcases..they were not opened or questioned..

The crazy costumes and props would have been difficult to explain.





We also visited a deaf school that our host was affiliated with.

They put on a program for us.

These are deaf kids dancing to music they cannot hear.  they just felt the beat.

It was so interesting to watch.



Often we would take photos of ourselves so we could get the action of people behind us.

The woman in the headdress was getting spices for her wedding.


Street vendors in the market place.  Handmade Naan for sale.
Notice that there is both cultures represented by the clothing.







Well it seems my download got a bit wonky.

Here is the description of the rest of the photos.

Women selling fresh herbs
The "Dressing Room" to try on clothes
Fresh meat... YUMM


Fresh bread called Naan and delicious tea on our train ride leaving Toshkent.
It was the best bread I think I have ever had.


What a team we made...

What an adventure

God is always in control


8 comments:

Sandi said...

What an adventure!

I can see the allure of closing yourself off from the world. I do that myself. But...well, let's pray for Uzbekistan. Interestingly, sometimes I get blog views from that area of the world and the countries surrounding Uzbekistan. You never know.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That sounds like an unforgettable trip.

Marie Smith said...

What an adventure! What is going on there now I wonder?

MadSnapper said...

The three of you are extra special Braves to go to that country and I know that you remember it with fond memories. I love seeing all the clothing and the deaf dancers are amazing! That bread does look absolutely delicious but I did see that the woman was carrying that bread stacked up in her arms

Hootin Anni said...

Memories for a lifetime!

Wanda said...

Oh Sue, what a wonderful adventure and time for Mission Service. You have captures the trip so well with your photo's. Love the bright colors and costumes.

VBS is such a needed project for any kids living anywhere.

God bless you, Sue for going on that trip and letting your light shine for the Lord.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

What a wonderful trip! Covid has us all reminiscing about past travels I think. I’m glad you blogged yours ... I certainly knew nothing about this country and I enjoyed learning through your eyes.

sandy said...

what an experience - ...wow