Thursday, April 19, 2018

SUTTER'S FORT STATE HISTORICAL PARK


Last night my Hubby and I went to a Friends of Sutter's Fort event.

It was entitled "Through the Lens of Harry Peterson".

Harry was the first curator of the Fort back in the early 1930's.

He took amazing photos of everything having to do with the Fort

and it's beginnings during the Gold Rush in California.

It was so much fun to be in the Fort after closing and to explore

as night fell.

Dave and I hadn't been to the Fort since 2007.

I had forgotten how centrally located it was...in the middle of downtown Sacramento.




We arrived in daylight.

Vintage in the foreground, modern on the other side of the wall.




The last rays of sunlight pinpointed the church outside the Fort.




There is wonderful restoration going on in the buildings.

The roof is the next project.




They try to keep all the buildings true to the time period.




Scruffy and peeling paint always catches my attention.




The Fort has reenactments during the summer months.

Its always fun to see people in costume doing everyday activities of the 1800's.




I took a peek through on of the windows to see the tools of the day.




I really like when things are truly authentic.






We definitely will return for more events and this summer too.

I need more photos of costumes and activities.

Don't forget to enlarge the photos for more detail.




1 comment:

MadSnapper said...

i did enlarge and i love them ALL. vintage is always good for me. i do love old forts inside and outside, there are 3 in Savannah, my kids grew up playing in them. they were free and open to play in, i don't think they are now. i love the old doors and windows. a beautiful sight to me and one i would love to visit.