Saturday, December 30, 2023

WHAT A WONDERFUL WEEK

 Hello everyone, I'm back from a wonderful Christmas celebration at our Granddaughter's home.

Las Vegas isn't usually in my radar for Christmas, but when one's granddaughter and her husband live and work there it's time for a new adventure.

I will post a few photos but I am trying to figure out how to transfer them from my smart phone to my DUMB computer, (without posting them to FB for all to see..

Las Vegas is an 8 hour drive from our home.  I am so thankful that our son Steve and wife Sigrid did all the driving.  We did look a lot like the "Beverly Hillbillies" on our way.  Every square inch of space was full of suitcases, camera gear (Steve's a professional photographer)gifts, snacks and "stuff".  It's a good thing we get along so well and have done multiple trips together.

Our gift from the grands was dinner and the show at the Excaliber Hotel.  Its the Tournament of Kings..a jousting extravaganza.  So much fun to let our hair down and really get into things.  We were seated in the Ireland section.  There were 8 countries represented.

Unfortunately our King lost his battle but we had so much fun anyway.



We did plenty of sightseeing and did walk the "Strip".  I'm proud that I walked a total of 4 miles on my gimpy knee.  We got to see where Lauren works at the Waldorf Astoria and parked our backsides in the lobby while Steve returned with the car.  Exhausted but so fun.

If you work things out with coupons and players cards , one can get some pretty cheap meals.  The 2 meals we ate out were delicious.  Steak and egg breakfast and a to-die-for BBQ dinner.  Talk about waddling after those meals!

Opening gifts and having a glorious prime rib dinner which Lauren's Mother in Law prepared and was her gift to all of us.  I can't believe I took so few pictures of this time together..too busy I guess.




That roast was 20 pounds of pure perfection.  We had 2 more meals from it too, with leftovers for when we were gone.  Yummmm!!!

Everything was a highlight but I have to admit our last day there was such a perfect way to end our time together.

We drove out into the Mohave Desert to the Valley of Fire State Park

facebook.com/valley.of.fire

Overton, NV

It was 11 years ago since we were last there.  Its the most majestic and interesting place to visit.  The Valley is a geological wonderland.  Red sandstone formations, once sand dunes during the age of the dinosaurs over 150 million years ago, seem to glow as if they are on fire in the hour just before sunset.

Limestone from the days when this land was once covered by sea, and petrified wood from a forested past, can be also found.  Water and wind erosion continue to shape the landscape.

I took a ton of photos , here are a few, more to come later.

The drama of the desert skies was wonderful.  No rain but it sure threatened.





The best "EYE CANDY" ever !

Can you see all the people climbing on the rocks?  They looked like ants scurrying- we did a bit of scurrying too. (:0)

If I can figure out how to post more of my shots there'll be another post in the offing.




8 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It sounds like it was a perfect Christmas. I haven't been to Vegas in awhile. Glad you were able to walk the strip. Your meals sound delicious. Overton, NV looks beautiful. So glad you were able to do that.
Happy New Year to you and your family.

Sandi said...

Your beautiful kitchen and full island counter make it look like you are on a cooking show!

Wanda said...

Sue I love your pictoral tour of your Christmas Vegas trip. The photos are stunning. You will have lots of material for your blog.

The family around the kitchen island was so precious. Everyone getting into the act. That's what family is all about.

Love that you are home safe and sound!!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Sounds like a very fun Christmas, and the pictures you took in the valley are beautiful. I am going to check out the link you shared.
Happy New Year to you and your family!

Donna said...

SO gld you both enjoyed your trip to Vegas! Lots of walking, indeed!
Steak and eggs sound so good...
Happy New Year!
hugs
Donna

Shammickite said...

Gosh, that was a super trip. Reminds me of my vacation in LV many years ago. I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. My very best wishes to you both for a happy, healthy, peaceful, thoughtful, creative 2024.

Chatty Crone said...

Sounds like a great trip - I think it is different visiting some place not knowing someone and visiting when you do know someone.

Waldorf Astoria - what does she do there?

Glad you had a nice trip!

Happy New Year!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A belated Happy 2024 to you, Sue, and Dave as well. Thanks for sharing this post about your Christmas celebration with family in las Vegas. It looks like you all had a wonderful time with delicious food too! I have been to LV twice and one day may return as it's like a play land for adults.