Saturday, August 27, 2022

A SURPRISE FOR US

 Several days ago Dave went out to get our big ladder for something.

There, on the very top of the thing which was leaning against our garage wall,

was a surprise resident.

The mourning dove thought this spot was the perfect place to have her family.

We didn't want to get too close but tried to take a few photos.

We believe there are 2 babies in the scraggly nest, 

but we can't be sure.

Mama Dove chose a pretty safe place to be.  I don't think the neighborhood cats,

or predatory birds will get her there.











I don't have a very good zoom on my phone.  Wish these were sharper.

I was taking the shots with the phone over my head...not a great way to hold it steady.

Hopefully there will be more photos to come.


8 comments:

MadSnapper said...

so precious, I love to hear them cooing and talking. she picked a safe place as long as you don't need the ladder and that is good because that means he will not be using it for a few week

Ruth Hiebert said...

That is so sweet.

Marie Smith said...

That is a wonder!

Ginny Hartzler said...

This is so cool. And she DID pick a good place. Now I am wondering if a cat could climb up there. My shoulders would hurt something fierce if I had to snap way up there!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That's really cute and so different!

Hootin Anni said...

Perfect. And it's keeping Dave off the ladder!! (They're an accident waiting to happen).

Rose said...

Doves make the strangest choices...where Roger worked, one always built on the window ledge, and used buts if chain link fencing as part of its nest. If I remember correctly from childhood, they do usually have two babies.

sandy said...

so sweet - i love surprises like that.