Monday, February 05, 2018

APPLE HILL IN WINTER


Dave and I made our way into the foothills to "kill" time

while our car was being serviced.

Nothing was blossoming yet.

We did find some really interesting pruning jobs.

Apple Hill is now mostly apple orchards.

Long ago pears and peaches were the major crop.




There were rows and rows of Scarecrow looking trees.




We saw some dried Fuji type apples hanging on for dear life.




I never saw this type of pruning before.

All the trees were trimmed into V shapes.

Apparently it is for ease of harvesting the apples quickly.




One of my friends said these look like antlers.

I quite agree.

We will return sometime this Summer to see the progress

And of course in the Fall when they are full of apples.

To Be Continued.....


3 comments:

MadSnapper said...

i have a passion for dead trees or trees without leaves.. these are amazing and i love them. i have never seen apple orchards or trees or heard of Fuji apples. love the photos

Ginny Hartzler said...

It is a very strange and vivid sight. I have seen peach trees pruned this way.

Shammickite said...

Ah fresh apples, right off the tree.... I feel a big apple pie coming on!